Adding Activities in Swim Lanes
Once all the building blocks are ready, we can add activities in swim lanes.
Let's first understand, how each activity drives the workflow:
- Initialization of a case related customer data
- Creation of a support case on an incoming customer call
- Analysis of and providing a solution to the problem
- Delivering a patch to the customer
- Notifying the customer if the search for a solution to this problem has been rejected
- Displaying the input data
These activities form the backbone of the definition of the support process and are labeled as:
- Init Data - no user interaction
- Enter Data - involves user interaction
- Analyze To Solve - involves user interaction
- Deliver Patch - involves user interaction
- Notify Customer - no user interaction
To add activities in the swim lanes:
- In the My Process Models panel, expand the Support Case model
- Drag the Support Case Factory application from the Applications node and drop it in the
Start Process swim lane.
The script task named Support Case Factory gets created.
Figure: Create Application Activity
- Click on the newly created application activity to view its properties
Figure: Click Application Activity
- In the General properties, specify Init Data in the Name text box
Note that it is a Script Task.
Figure: Application Activity - Init Data
- Go to the Profile panel and make sure that the Integrator profile is selected.
Figure: Profile - Integrator
- In the properties panel of the Init Data activity, click on the Implementation
icon to view implementation properties
Figure: Property - Implementation
- In the toolbar, click the Create Activity icon and
drop it in the Collect Details swim lane
Figure: Activity Added
- Rename the activity as Enter Data
- Similarly, add following activities:
- In the Analyze Issues swim lane, add Manual Task activity and
rename it to Analyze To Solve.
- In the Analyze Issues swim lane, drag and drop the Notify Customer application.
- In the Deliver Results swim lane, add None Task activity and rename it to Deliver Patch.
Creating Transitions between Two Activities
Once all the activities are created, the modeler has to define their sequence and transitions between these activities. So that
a workflow is defined.
To define a transition between two activities:
- Hover the mouse over the Init Data activity and click the sequence flow icon
Figure: Click Sequence Flow Icon
- Click the Enter Data activity as second anchor point for connection
Figure: Define Transition
- Similarly, specify transition for following activities:
- From Enter Data activity to Analyze to Solve
- From Analyze to Solve activity to Deliver Patch
- Leave the Notify Customer activity without any transition